• Users Online: 615
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home Current issue Ahead of print Search About us Editorial board Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 108  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 47-51

Influence of time on the management of complications of orbital floor fracture


Department of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmic Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Ayman Abd El-Ghafar
Department of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura 35516
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2090-0686.161389

Rights and Permissions

Purpose The aim of this work is to evaluate the influence of time elapsed between the occurrence of orbital floor fracture and management on improvement of complications. Patients and methods This is a prospective comparative interventional study that including 17 patients with pure orbital floor fracture (without involvement of the orbital rim) who presented to Mansoura Ophthalmic Center from January 2012 to September 2012; they presented with diplopia with or without enophthalmos. For all cases, computed tomography-coronal cuts were performed. For all cases, repair of the orbital floor fracture was performed using a titanium mesh. For cases that had persistent diplopia after repair because of restrictive myopathy, adjustable inferior rectus recession was performed. Those who did not achieve correction after recession were corrected by prisms. Cases were followed for 6 months after surgery. Results This study included 17 cases with pure orbital floor fracture. They were divided into two groups according to the time of presentation after trauma: group A included seven (41.2%) patients who were operated within 3 weeks of trauma and group B included 10 (58.8%) patients who were operated after 3 weeks up to 6 months of trauma. In group A, all cases presented with diplopia in up gaze; however, one (14.3%) case presented with enophthalmos more than 2 mm. In group B, all cases presented with diplopia in up gaze and three (30%) of them presented with enophthalmos more than 2 mm. In group A, diplopia and enophthalmos were completely resolved after surgical repair of orbital floor fracture; however, in group B, diplopia improved only in two (20%) cases, but cases of enophthalmos were completely resolved. Among the remaining eight (80%) patients with persistent diplopia who underwent adjustable inferior rectus recession, seven (70%) patients improved and only one (10%) patient had persistent diplopia that was corrected with prisms. Conclusion Early repair of orbital floor fracture (within 3 weeks) leads to complete improvement in diplopia; however, late repair in most of the cases needs inferior rectus recession and sometimes prism correction. However, enophthalmos is not affected by the time of repair.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2034    
    Printed38    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded186    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal